Taking care of your gutters and ensuring they are clear of leaves is vitally important to ensuring your home's safety and integrity.
Living in the beautiful surrounds of the Northern Illawarra brings us close to nature and trees. Whilst the shade is wonderful in summer, the falling leaves can pose many a problem for a home owner.
4 Reasons to keep the leaves out of your gutters
1. Dried leaf litter in gutters is a potential fire hazard. Leaves, sticks and debris quickly becoming an ignition point when under an ember attack during bush fire.
2. Leaves block flow of water flowing from the roof, along your gutters and down the downpipes. This type of blockage will cause water to pour over the sides of the gutter and down around the base of your home. Over time this will cause cracks to form and damage the foundations of your home.
3. Over flowing water will also cause fascia boards to rot, increasing the maintenance on your home and reducing the value.
4. Rain water can overflow over the back of the gutter into the eaves and damage the internals of the house.
So what can you do?
1. Regular maintenance and clearing of your gutters is important. The frequency of this will depend on the amount of trees you have surrounding your house, the type of trees and the environmental conditions (dry, windy weather is perfect condition for leaf litter)
2. If you do not wish to continually have to risk life and limb climbing up a ladder to remove leaf litter you can install gutter guard which is a fire rated aluminium mesh that will keep leaves out of your gutter while allowing water to flow in.
At Cattley Plumbing we like to use the Australian made and fire resistant Leaf Stopper brand.
Check out their website here for more information on the benefits.
We can come and assess your gutters today and provide you a quote to ensure your home is safer in both fire and rain.
Call James today on 0409 875 391